Sunday 22 December 2013

Maji Moto

A few weeks ago Kelly, Sydnee and I took the day off to go and visit a hot spring about two hours out of Arusha. We went with some local guys who regularly spend time volunteering at Neema House and it was a really nice day. I drove us there which was interesting due to the fact that the car we took is a Prado 4x4 and I had never driven a car that big before. Most of the main roads close to Arusha are sealed and easy to drive on, but to get to Maji Moto you have to go cross country after you turn off the main road. We hired a local piki piki driver to show us the way for the last 15km. It took over an hour to just go that short distance! The road was so rough that at some points I thought we would never be able to make it over the rocks, but thankfully we got there safely.

The water at Maji Moto, which literally means "hot water", was thankfully not hot at all after the long drive with no air conditioning. It was one of the most beautiful places that I've seen since I've been here. Crystal clear water with vines hanging down into a deep pool. The water reminded me a little bit of New Zealand as our country is filled with beautiful clear rivers and lakes. The main difference is that New Zealand is not filled with scary snakes and animals. I spent half the time I was in the water surveying the area for pythons, only to later find out that pythons don't even swim in fresh water. What can I say? The very few Africa related fears I have are completely irrational, including the one where I get shot while sitting by the window on a dala dala.

The water was absolutely beautiful and there was small fish that would come along and nibble at your feet. It made them very clean, but was also very ticklish!










General hilarity ensued when Kelly and I tried to get dressed after our swim behind a piece of plastic strung between two posts stuck into buckets. First two young boys swum down the stream behind us to see if they could take a peek. Then just when Kelly was dressing I accidentally tipped one of the posts over which then knocked the whole plastic shelter down, causing much shrieking and laughter. I laughed more that day than I had in months!

Martin, one of our local friends, drove when we got onto the main road and it was a hair-raising trip, to say the least! I eventually asked to take over as I wasn't entirely sure that we would make it home in one piece with the current driver. Apart from that though, it was a lovely day and a beautiful spot that I would definitely go back to if I got the chance.

xoxo,
-Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment