Sunday 16 June 2013

Oh Australia...

When I am at home in New Zealand I have this idea in my head that I hate Australia. It's too hot and too many bugs and there are snakes and droughts and bush fires. And yet when I'm here, I find that is not the case.

This week I found myself remembering that I like Australia. I love your birds and your beautiful anthem and your oceans. It made me glad that I'd chosen to stop here on my way and get rid of all the "I hate Australia" thoughts that were in my head. Five days isn't long, but it was enough to catch up with Christa and Amy and Mac.

Chris and I took the train from Morisset to Newcastle on Friday afternoon and Amy came and picked us up. On Sabbath afternoon we went down to the ocean, which was wild and stormy. The sea baths were completely flooded over. We walked out along the sea wall to the lighthouse and the waves were so big they were crashing over the wall. We continued on even though there was a sign saying that no responsibility would be taken for accidental injury or death as a result of the waves!

The wild sea by the Bogey Hole

Christa tries to make her escape


The sea baths covered by the high tide

Our good friends Amy and Mac

This afternoon Christa and I take the train back to Sydney - she to go home to NZ and me to continue on to Dubai tonight. Altogether it should be a 37 hour trip to Arusha, not including any delays that might happen! It's been lovely to see Chris and to catch up with Amy and Mac while I've been here. Old friends are always the best!

xoxo,
-Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment