Wednesday 19 June 2013

Traveling Troubles

It took approximately 40 hours to get from Sydney to Arusha, Tanzania. It might have been more. The trip here was not the best and if I had of known what it would have been like, it might have put me off coming. It was just long and tiring and very stressful.

It was 14.5 hours from Sydney to Dubai and then I had a long stopover in Dubai. I thought the departure lounge was confusing at first, but after four or five walks around it, I had it sorted. I was unlucky enough at one point to sit down and have a man come over and vomit on the floor right next to me. Unfortunately I was in the splash zone and it was still hours before I could have a shower and clean clothes.

For the last few weeks I have been waiting for my visa to come through. Apparently it was completed, but hadn't arrived yet from the agent in Dar Es Salaam. This was unfortunate as it meant that I had to get a tourist visa at the Tanzanian border. The visa line was long and confusing - basically they take your passport and then everyone stands in a big crowd waiting for your name to be called out by the immigration officer. I almost missed him calling my name because it sounded nothing like I would have pronounced it. I thought I had a simple name but the way he said it sounded like "Ana Bootlahray." Interesting! Due to the long line (I use the term "line" very loosely) I missed my flight to Arusha. I had thought this might happen, but it was still pretty horrible when it did. I was wandering outside looking lost when a very kind airport officer came and found me. He booked me a new flight and rang Michael to let him know that I would be getting in late and he let me use his computer to tell my family that I was safe.

In the airport I prayed to not have to spend too long in line for a visa, for my bags to come out quickly, to not miss my flight and for everything to be okay. It's funny how God works. The visa line was long and the immigration officer was cross because Neema House does not have a specific address. I waited forever for my bag, only to find that some "kind" soul had taken it off the carousel and put it in the corner. Thank goodness for the bright green strap or I never would have spotted it. I missed my flight. But everything was okay. The kind airport man looked after me and I got a different flight and Michael and Dorris were there at the other end to pick me up.

It's about an hours drive from Kilimanjaro Airport to Arusha and it was interesting to say the least! The speed limit does not seem to be regulated here. Instead, they have speed bumps in the middle of the road. Not gentle bumps either. It's like driving over a log. We stopped at Neema House on the way even though all the babies were sleeping. They look so much tinier in real life. Then it was off to the volunteer house where I will be staying for the next few months.

Altogether it was a very long journey to get here, but I am quite positive that it will all turn out to be worth it in the end!

xoxo,
-Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Hannah! What a journey and experience you had. Definitely a learning, "trusting in God" kind of experience. I'm so glad you have arrived safely and look forward to hearing about your days there!
    (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete